Quick Tips for Smart Computing:
- Keep operating systems and applications up to date by applying all critical software patches.
- Use anti-virus software and keep it updated to protect against the latest threats.
- Use strong passwords with a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters, and change passwords regularly.
- Avoid using the same password for multiple websites, accounts, and applications.
- Know the type and volume of data you have and safeguard it accordingly.
- Back up data on a regular basis, and purge data that you are no longer required to keep.
- Protect laptops and other mobile devices from theft, protect them with a login password, and enable encryption when possible.
- Lock your computer when it is unattended.
- Before clicking on any links within an email, verify that the email is from a sender that you know and trust.
- Look for the lock icon and https:// prefix when logging in or entering sensitive information on web pages.
- Use the privacy and security settings on social networks to control who sees what you post.
- Review our Risk Advisories for more tips.